Today there are many modern facing materials, combining decorative and utilitarian functions, and among them — an artificial decorative stone. This high-tech product that can be used in the decoration of almost any buildings of brick, concrete blocks and even wood. Today on the market there are many domestic producers that actively participate in the policy of import substitution, displacing from the market the German manufacturer of clinker bricks.
Artificial stone is made by vibratory casting method of high quality cement, sand, reinforcing agents, various fillers and pigments. Appeared in our market many years ago, this material is becoming more and more popular. This is due to its relatively low cost, durability, fire and moisture resistance, frost resistance, ease of installation (it is much easier to natural stone) and excellent decorative properties.
Finishing work is not too time-consuming. In comparison with the natural counterpart, artificial stone weighs 1.5—, sometimes 4 times less. Flat reverse side with a slight elevation provides easy and quick installation. To get a beautiful and long lasting finish enough to choose the right adhesive.
The choice of adhesive composition
Own production of adhesive solutions involved many manufacturers of facing materials. In particular, the Russian company White Hills, the leader in the market of artificial stone in Russia, offers a series of professional adhesives for decorative stone http://whitehills.ru/soputstvuyuwie_tovary1/klej/klej_ekstra/. However, these adhesives have unique properties and are intended for laying ceramic tiles, porcelain tiles, natural stone and mosaic etc.
It is important that the facing material and adhesive composition on its physico-mechanical properties were as close as possible, especially on such important indicator as the coefficient of linear thermal expansion. Otherwise, the stone will be either destroyed or to move away from the base of the wall. This effect is most often observed in spring, when the temperature of the building Foundation close to 0°C, and the surface of the veneer has already managed to warm up to 15°C. In order to avoid fracture of the veneer need to use specialized adhesives.
- tape measure or ruler;
- building level, square, cords for installation
- horizontal beacons;
- metal brush for cleaning surfaces;
- tank for mixing adhesive and grout;
- electrical drill-mixer for the preparation of the adhesive and
- grout solutions;
- paint brush to wet the stone and revetted
- surfaces, trowel, trowel or spatula;
- rubber mallet and wooden block to fit and
- precipitation elements;
- an angle grinder with disc for cutting stone;
- a bag or syringe to fill the joints with grout;
- brush or brush medium stiffness for alignment and
- Stripping joints;
- brush or sprayer for applying water repellent.
How to start the installation
You must first prepare the surface (bottom) for styling. It must be solid, level and not subject to shrinkage or deformation, and have good adhesion to the adhesive composition. Remove all dirt, dust, frost, frost, stains from oil products, oils and fats of different origin. If the installation is being carried out in the conditions of hot and dry weather, the working surface and the back side of the stone should be moistened.
Before installation, remove the different packages of not less than 2 sq. m. decorative stone http://whitehills.ru/iskusstvennyj_kamen/, zamiksovat elements in color, size and texture. This will give the masonry most natural looking and will give a visual representation of how it will look on the wall. If the back of the stone is cement milk please remove it by scraping and wire brushing.
Installation of decorative stone
1. Carefully read the instructions, prepare the adhesive solution.
2. Apply with a flat trowel adhesive to the prepared wall. Flatten the glue with a notched trowel.
3. Installation of stone start with the corner elements. Apply adhesive on the back surface of the stone to his entire area was evenly covered with glue.
4. Firmly press the stone against the wall and slightly “wiggle” from side to side to provide better grip. To mount the stone with the grouting, use chopiki for fixing stone.
5. The stone can be easily machined and, if necessary, it is easy to cut with a grinder to give it the required size.
6. After complete drying of the adhesive solution, you can start pointing. Prepare the finish solution is strictly in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions printed on the package. The dye the desired color, add in the dry mixture white or grey grout to add water.
7. Fill the seams using a syringe or a special bag for grouting, slowly squeezing rubbing solution.
8. After the mortar has hardened a bit, smooth it with a spatula or notched blades for punch down. For the final smoothing and sanding of the seams need to sweep off their brush of medium hardness.
9. After the final drying of masonry can be treated with special hydrophobic protective composition by spray or brush. Before use, carefully read the instructions for its use.
Expert opinion: what is the water repellent
For additional protection of the facade you can treat the walls with special protective hydrophobic composition. It forms on the surface of an elastic semi-permeable membrane. This coating will protect the stone from moisture and dirt in extreme temperatures, solar radiation, acid rain and other environmental influences.
It is worth considering that the water repellent after drying, can affect the appearance of masonry. So before to apply it first try to treat small and inconspicuous place to test, not to spoil you the appearance of stone.
Be sure to use a repellent, if the coating is done in pools, on fireplaces, or where it may be subjected to intense pollution, constant contact with water or corrosive environment.
Vitaly, Roman, head of the technical lab White Hills