Studio apartments have become popular in Russia in the early 90-ies, and the type of layout originated in the USA in early last century. This type of space with the open space and lack of internal partitions is a good option for creative professionals, single people and couples without children.
We asked interior designer Oksana Tsimbalova about how to zone a space.
If you decide to make alterations to their homes, the focus will need to be given to the organization of space and the visual input (color) and subject accents in the interior.
The apartment should be comfortable, open, there can’t be anything extra weight and disproportionate. These premises are calculated for completeness, conciseness and consistency within the major functional areas — kitchen, living room, bedroom.
Walls insulated only bathroom. Zoning, that is, a conditional differentiation of a single space is done with the help of lightweight plasterboard partitions, furniture and design techniques: contrasting colors and textures of surfaces, as well as raznourovnevoj floor and ceiling — most often it is a panel method, liberating additional space.
When zoning is very important to adhere to a single style in the design. It may be minimalist, high-tech and other individual solutions, the most preferred for this particular housing. Remember that in small spaces very important decisions, visually expanding the interior that are characteristic of contemporary styles.
In General, the design of small apartments-studios is distinguished by the following features:
- using practical and easy-care materials for surface finishing and furniture;
- the predominance of bright, pastel colors, leaving a sense of spaciousness, abundance of light and air. These colors can be harmoniously complemented by the introduction of bright colors;
- install spotlights along the perimeter that allows you to visually expand the room;
- minimal presence in the interior and lush bulky items: vases, sculptures and figurines, large flowers;
- proper placement of furniture in accordance with the functional areas, its mobility and compactness: modular furniture, sofas-transformers, high and narrow cabinets;
- the presence of mirror and glass elements and partitions.
Unwanted heavy, dense and especially with valances, drape the curtains on the Windows. Let it be flowy fabric accentuates the lightness and spaciousness of the interior. Optional extra working or dining space and also storage space, it is possible to alter the window sill, placing instead the countertop. The main thing — to do it by agreement and without violating the rules and regulations of the redevelopment.
To optimize the space and make the kitchen look neater, is to opt for built-in equipment and purchased a powerful hood to prevent contamination and sedimentation of particles of fat on the curtains, upholstery, bedspreads and pillows.
Visual increase and strengthen prospects — the basic principle in the design of any Studio. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to the color and design details.
Illustrations from the portfolio of an interior designer Oksana Tsimbalova.